Please note that to avoid confusion and information overload, this is a much reduced list compared to the old site.
- Raspberry Pi
- Raspberry Pi getting started guide.
- I would suggest getting an SD card at least 16GB or Bigger, an 8GB card leaves about 3GB for files.
- CHIP $9 Computer
- A guide to computer file systems can be found here. A file system is how an operating sets out the data on a hard disk or other writable media so that the Operating system knows how and where to save to on the physical hardware.
- Arduino UNO (If getting a clone, get one with the ATMega328P-PU as the chip)
- Arduino Nano
- Many others as well - Banggood sell clones of the above two boards The Arduino is open hardware, and as a result there are a large amount of Arduino clones, which can be much cheaper and may occasionally have more features.
- Shrimp DIY Arduino If you're feeling brave, try building your own on a breadboard.
- BBC Micro Bit
Other Arduino resources:
- PIC Microcontroller
- Tom has used this in his mouse bot project.
- PICAXE Starter Kit
The suppliers list is for information. We are in NO WAY connected or being paid to list these suppliers, we just use them.
- ModMyPi (UK)
- Banggood (China) Banggood are excellent for cheap components and can supply Arduino Clone boards.
Freedom respecting hardware
These systems are not cheap however they are built on open/libre hardware so you are free to do what you want as per the four freedoms. You have the advantage of open hardware and no struggling with non free drivers or firmware that you have no control over.
Operating a headless PC requires remote desktop access, but in many cases compositing the desktop in high resolution is possible only when the computer detects a connected display. fit-Headless is a miniature HDMI plug that emulates a high-definition display connected to the PC. The headless PC identifies fit-Headless as a connected display and enables the GPU thus allowing remote desktop compositing at high resolution. fit-Headless works with any HDMI capable PC on any operating system and requires no software installation nor configuration. fit-Headless does not require external power.